The weekends are my favorite time to make a delicious meal. Mornings are spent lounging around, sipping coffee or tea, and leisurely preparing breakfast. Bobby and I walk down the Fillmore on Saturdays to the Farmers’ Market for the week’s freshest produce. Last weekend we went to Rainbow Co-op to stock up on bulk foods like Fair Trade coffee and rice, spices, and other organic items. It is this combination of ingredients sourced close to San Francisco, CA that we made this morning’s breakfast one of the best so far. The crisp weather has ripened the apples, making this meal perfect for fall taste buds.
French Toast with Apple Cinnamon “Compote”
– Eggs from Olivera Farms (Fillmore Farmers’ Market)
– Milk & Butter from Straus, Evaporated Cane Sugar, Cinnamon (Rainbow Grocery)
– 2 Fuji Apples (Rainbow Grocery give-away from the Green Festival)
– Bread (La Boulange)
– Organic Brown Sugar
1. Whisk 4 eggs, 2 tablespoons milk, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a large bowl. You’ll be dipping your bread in it, so it’s best to choose one with a wide bottom which will let them soak. Once prepared, dip sliced bread into mixture, flip and soak other side, and place directly on skillet on medium heat. Coat pan in butter first for easier non-stick surface.
2. In a small saucepan melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add diced apples and stir. Once coated with butter, add 2 tablespoons sugar (we used Organic evaporated cane sugar, you can use whatever you have handy or brown sugar), and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Let simmer, turn heat down if still cooking French Toast.
Once both are finished cooking, top Apple Cinnamon “compote” over French Toast and serve warm. Enjoy with Hot Apple Cider to heat spirits up more!